5.06.2015

If I May.




















The morning sunshine radiates through the windows of Garden Cottage, illuminating everything it touches.  I love the intense spring sunshine, before it gets so hot that it hurts.

Our garden seems very happy right now.  We are watching lots of growth and production going on out there.  The mystery squash plants we purchased keep on giving.  Not only did our 6 pack o' "zucchini" turn into white scalloped squash…but we also got a pumpkin(?) plant out of it…and it is thriving.  I wish the nursery would sell mystery squash plants every year.

Out front, the bulbs have finished their spring debut, so we have decided to plant flower seeds for the summer/fall season.  Perhaps we are overly zealous in thinking that flowers will survive the heat of July.  Even so, marigolds (and such) are very heat resistant and thrive throughout the blistering summer.  That, to me, is incredibly inspiring. I want to be more like the marigolds.  Maisy has taken it upon herself to become an avid waterer,  and as a result we are seeing many flower sprouts.  

I have started harvesting the first pickling cucumbers of the season. Yesterday, while they sat on the countertop awaiting packaging for their short stint in the refrigerator, the kids kept exclaiming that they were super excited for homemade pickles.  I have total empathy for that type of emotion. 

We planted a LOT of onions this year.  Onions are a crop that are mighty easy to preserve, and they will last nearly an entire year if kept in ideal circumstances.  So, in high hopes of not having to buy another onion until Spring 2016…we are watching them reach their potential and enjoying our spicy scented backyard, all the while.

And what would early May be without homegrown tomatoes?  I busted a move when I saw those first two red tomatoes staring at me from under the labyrinth of vines.  Not even the salt shaker could make me stall in devouring their deliciousness.  After close to a year of cardboard rounds from the local produce section, tasting these makes everything right in my world.

Myra, sweet Myra.  She has had little else on her mind lately, besides a new dog.  Dog drama is a new subject at our house.  The roller coaster of emotions regarding breed and size and price and whereabouts it will live…are enough to nearly give this mother parvovirus.  Albeit, she is learning a heck of a lot, and for that I am always grateful.  Among things learned, she is practicing patience, endurance and hard work.  Our yard is getting quite the face lift, as she saves her pennies for a pup.

On Saturday, Myra convinced a friend, and her brother, to come and help her spread mulch piles.  After 5 hours of work…we all went to the reservoir for a refreshing dip in the muddy water.  It was a beautiful overcast afternoon…after a hot and muggy morning.  Bryan and I were just going to sit on the sidelines and wade with the littles, while the big kids swam.  But, once we got there…we were enticed by the waters mild temperature…and we both ended up swimming in our clothes. 

There are a lot of happy plans on our May calendar and I am looking forward to the adventures this month will surely bring.