6.03.2013

From Garden To Gullet: Pickling Cucumbers.


Each month I add 'pickles' to our 
grocery shopping list.
Because we are health food nuts, 
not just any jar of pickles will do.  
If the ingredient list reads
polysorbate 80 and/or yellow #5, 
we leave it on the shelf.

In order to get pickles without those 
lovely lit'l additions, 
we almost always have to
 buy them at the health food store...
where the price is heavy and the 
jar is light.

This year, when I saw pickling cucumber
starts at the nursery, I put several of them
in the cart and told Bryan,
 "If the squash bugs don't eat 'em...
perhaps I can try making some pickles."

Currently, those little plants
are producing pounds of plump pickling cukes.




I began my pickle recipe hunt
with three questions in mind:


Is it simple?
Is it healthy?
Is it tasty?


Someone should start a 
recipe blog...
Oh, wait...she already has!


Most recipes I found were
time intensive and then claimed
I would have to wait 6-8 weeks
after processing to consume.


Good grief, I just don't have 
that soft of patience.


When this one, which looked so simple, 
boasted that the
pickles turned out crispy and taste
just like Klaussen's...the search was over.



This morning I finished another batch
of pickles.  This time, using quart sized jars.


I've made 3 batches, so far...
and we have been eating them up
almost as fast as I make them.


For the first batch, I followed the recipe,
exactly, only omitting the hot peppers.

When it turned out perfect,
I started experimenting.



works just as well...
and is so much more healthy!


Just makes the brine a little 
brownish.


So super easy...
and so super delicious!

Here's hopin' that the cucumbers 
will keep on growing.

{Have a Happy Day!}